Diabetes has become a buzz word. There are plenty of companies selling food products, shakes, and supplements geared to help manage blood sugar. It is not that simple. Diabetes is a complex disorder that needs an in-depth understanding of the disease in order to come up with a solution that would work for each individual. That is why we don’t sell any product, but rather focus on each client’s needs. The way people respond to disease or treatment can vary from person to person.
What Is Type 2 Diabetes
This is actually insulin resistance. The reason it is called so, is because the patient’s pancreas still produces insulin but it does not reach the cells because the receptors that communicate with insulin to open the “gate” for glucose entry, are dormant. The reason for this disorder can be a high fat diet, toxicity, food allergies, obesity, or a high stress lifestyle.
This is why, in the first phase of the Zizania program, we start with detoxification to release most of the toxins that clog cells and render them resistant to insulin. Improvement to liver function, GI function, and better nourishment are the key to success in combating type 2 diabetes.
What to Eat on a Diabetes Meal Plan
Ask any nutritionist or doctor, they will agree on these principals for type 2 diabetes:
- Diabetes meals should include complex carbohydrates high in fiber such as beans, quinoa, brown rice, chickpeas, oatmeal and cruciferous vegetables. These foods have a low glycemic index and are slowly digested, increasing glucose in the blood stream at a steady slow rate
- Diabetes patients should avoid processed carbohydrates such as white bread, cookies, crackers, chips and desserts. These foods are made-up of simple sugars that can elevate glucose quickly and all at once.
- It is also important to chose healthy proteins. Avoid fried chicken, high fat meats, and heavy sauces. Eggs are a high fat and cholesterol food, it is best to set them aside.
- Reducing glucose should be done with fiber, not protein.
- Healthy fats are important for diabetics and healthy people alike. Olive oil, canola, walnut oils are polyunsaturated fats rich in vitamin E and are considered heart healthy
- Superfoods to increase in the diet are peas, lentils, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, almonds, walnuts, and for the seasoning, parsley, cilantro, and cinnamon are an excellent anti-inflammatory foods.
Based on these principals, we create recipes and meal plans for our clients that, not only reduce their blood sugar, but enhance all other areas of health as well. Our job at Zizania is to take the science and translate it into delicious food. Our clients don’t have to study nutrition, count calories or worry about their portions. We make the process seamless to them. Because at Zizania, we believe, eating should not have any side effects. Eating is a guilt-free pleasure.
Fight Type 2 Diabetes
If you are ready to fight diabetes with a sound diet and get fast and lasting results, wait no longer. Zizania is your answer.
Contact us today and to book your initial consultation. We will take care of the rest.